Monday, August 15, 2011

Week 2 Day 5: Self Acceptance and Exercise

As I have mentioned all week long, acceptance is an ongoing process and we are constantly tested time and time again. The key to acceptance is to allow this moment to be a stepping stone into the next. Don't let this moment define you for an eternity, allow it to be a part of the ever changing flow, which we call life. When we truly find acceptance we find what we need so that we can move onto the next chapter in our lives.

Exercise is a great way to practice self acceptance, acceptance of others, and acceptance of where you are at in life. I am a runner. I have been running since I was in eighth grade and am now twenty eight, you would think after sixteen years of running it would be something I have down pat. But those of you who run know that is not the case. Take a month off of running and it will take 2 months to get back to where you were! Running is one of those skills if you don't use it, you lose it. It takes work to keep your running skills up to par. Running is a great place for me to practice acceptance.

The other day I went for a run and it was awful. I wanted to try to add an extra mile and half to my run and just knowing that added some mental stress. The humidity was really thick, I was having a hard time breathing, the heat was getting to me and I just couldn't find a rhythm. I was totally in my mind and my mind was totally telling me I couldn't do it. Now, I know this isn't true, and I realized at this moment I had a choice. I know my body is strong and can handle the run, I know my mind is strong and my soul is stronger, so I know if I wanted to I could of pushed myself , been miserable and eventually I would of finished the run. But then I thought about all this self acceptance stuff and I realized that, that day I wasn't physically prepared to run a longer distance and I had to accept that I was only going to get in my normal distance. I realized that the point wasn't how far I ran, it was to feel good about what I accomplished, not feel bad for what I did not accomplish. So I cut the run short and turned around and headed home. I accepted that on that day I was not going to run the longest run ever, and I was ok with that because I felt good about getting a run in at all. And that is the point, to do things that bring you joy, to find the things that make you feel whole.

Accepting yourself is accepting yourself in this moment for who you are. Each moment leads into the next, and the next moment wouldn't seem so great without this moment first. Accept where you are, in this moment, with an open mind to learn and a willingness to grow and you will always be where you want to be! Exercise can help you with self acceptance as you learn new moves and new techniques, they may seem uncomfortable at first, but you accept where you are at knowing you still have time to learn. And as you keep practicing you begin to notice how good you get at it, but you could never be good if you never practiced! So in everything that you do be gentle with yourself, don't judge others harshly, and accept each moment as is, because no moment will ever be the exact same!

No comments:

Post a Comment