Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Week 4 day 2: Attitude is Everything!

Your attitude defines your perception, which in turns defines your life... what attitude are you choosing?

Attitudes are established ways of responding to people and situations that we have learned based on our beliefs, values, morals, judgments and assumptions. Once you start becoming aware of your of your thoughts you will begin to see certain patterns in how you think. You will begin to see where you put yourself, where you pick yourself up or whether you do either. These patterns are collectively your attitude. Attitude comes in many forms. Once can have a positive attitude, a negative attitude and I don't care attitude, a lazy attitude, a go get 'em attitude etc... You get the point. Attitude is more than just positive or negative, it is the way we live our life.

I am a type A personality. I like to do things right and I like to do things well. Yoga is a great place for me to practice my attitude. One thing I have to remember throughout my entire practice is I chose to be there in yoga in the first place. Whether it gets hard or it stays easy, I need to keep the attitude of I choose this, and stay away from the attitude of this chose me. When a pose is challenging and I don't feel like I am getting it correctly I have to remember to take on an attitude of softness and be gentle with myself, if my attitude is always tough and always pushing me forward, I may not ever stop long enough to enjoy a peaceful moment or learn a life lesson or learn how to do the pose correctly. We always have to start right here to get there. Each moment is a stepping stone for the next. Our attitude determines how hard or easy it is. It determines if we struggle or if we shine, it decides if this makes you happy, angry, or sad. I have learned that your attitude is your outward expression of what you are thinking of mostly in any giving moment.

We always have the right to choose our attitude. Having a positive attitude and outlook on life will lead to happier thoughts, you will gain more success, confidence, self esteem, and energy. Choosing to take on an attitude of, "I Can!" will lead you to accomplishing your goals and dreams. Choosing to be an attitude of openness, acceptance and awareness will allow you to see the love that is shared all throughout the world, you will feel your heart in a new way and truly see how wonderful life is.

Here is a great story I found:

A 92 year old lady, petite, beautiful and proud gets up every morning by 8 , dressed with her make up on - even though she is legally blind. Today she is moving into a nursing home. Her husband of 70 years has just recently passed and this is her best option.

She patiently waits for hours at the nursing home and smiled sweetly when they told her the room was ready. As she maneuvered her walker into the elevator, I provided her a visual description of her tiny room.

"I love it," she claimed with enthusiasm .

"Mrs. Jones you haven't even seen the room yet"

"That doesn't have anything to do with it," she replied. "Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged.. it is how I arrange my mind and I have already decided I love it. It is a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice: I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do."

"Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away.. just for this time in my life. Old age is like a bank account... you withdraw from what you've put in. "

"so my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories."

This story is so powerful. It is so true. Attitude is a choice... what do you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment